Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Instant Pot: Ham & Split Pea Soup

Wow. This was like really tasty and way too easy to make. I have made pretty much this same recipe in my slow cooker and it never turned out this good. I think soaking my peas the night before and the pressure cooking setting really forced a ton of flavor and awesome texture into this soup. I had some and it was sooooo good. Used some of the ham I cooked in the crockpot from Tuesday.  I cannot wait for Ryan to try it to tell me what he thinks. He loves this soup and I never have really mastered it before. I hope you make this ASAP in this snowy weather.

What you need~
1 bag (16 ounces) of peas soaked overnight in water
1 ham bone with leftover meat on it
1 onion diced
Splash of olive oil
1 cup of ham meat diced
2 carrots diced
2 celery stalks diced
2 bay leaf
1 handful of chopped parsley
Lawry's seasoning and Nature's seasoning (to taste)
42 ounces of chicken stock
Bacon bits





Start by setting the instant pot to sauté and cook down the onion in the olive oil. Add the ham to this and let it sweat down for about 5 minutes. Switch off and deglaze the pot using a little broth (this prevents the burn message). Add the carrot, celery, bone, peas, bay leaf and seasonings. Mix well and then set the instant pot to pressure for 15 minutes. Make sure to seal the top and close the steam valve. It took about 20 minutes to come up to pressure. When it was done I quick released the pressure and added the parsley after removing the ham bone. I chopped up some of the meat that fell off of the bone and threw it back in the soup.  Make sure to remove the bay leaf. When serving I added some bacon bits.
Ready to go!

After cooking away!

Removed bone and took meat off of it.

Stirring it all up.

Added the parsley at the end so it does not get gross.

BACON!

It gets thicker after reheating.

I hope you enjoy it!

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment