Thursday, June 1, 2017

Bathroom Renovation: Vanity Part 3


I am proud of myself if I must say so. I have tackled some intense DYI in my days (painting my entire outside of my house). This one maybe almost as time consuming as the house painting when it is all said and done. In this edition of vanity progress we will talk about hardware and staining the butcher block top. We wanted this vanity to be rustic as that is my esthetic. I like things that look rustic with a mix of metal. Finding the hardware took sometime but I think the dark metal rawness of the hardware will look charming with the light blue paint and light top. Ryan applied all the hardware and I really do like it. The top was created by my father-in-law and it is AMAZING. Now for the super time consuming part of the top. We decided to use tung oil finish which requires about 8 coats for a good seal.

 Here are the steps in case you ever want to know how to do this:
1. Using a lint free cloth (wet) wipe down the entire surface to remove anything sitting on the item you are going to seal up.
2. Put on some gloves things get messy.
3. Pour a small amount of the tung oil onto the piece. Spread evenly over piece with another dry lint free cloth. Using another dry cloth wipe up any excess oil.
4. Let dry for 6-8 hours.
5. Using FINE steel wool buff the surface of the piece.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 at least 7-8 times. I do this every morning and night when I get home. I have my final coat tonight.

The item you seal should cure for at least 2 weeks before you use it around water. In this time it will harden and become officially water proof. I am looking into different polishes to use after it is cured.

We are still trying to figure out the door portion of the vanity as the front section pieces are bowed for looks and do not like hinges at all.

More updates to come!

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment