Monday, June 19, 2017

Strawberry/Rhubarb Bars


Tart and yet sweet this is the perfect dessert or breakfast bar. It is rhubarb and strawberry season everyone! I made this on my day off Friday. My rhubarb plant is once again a dinosaur and huge in the backyard. What that means it is time to bake a ton.  I wanted to branch outside of my usual breads and crumbles I usually make. This is a new favorite. I could eat an entire pan by myself I swear.

Crust
Crust

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter








Rhubarb

Filling:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup diced strawberries
1 cup diced rhubarb



Filing



















Start by pre-heating oven to 350 degrees. Whirl the crust ingredients in a food processor. Make sure that the butter is firm it needs to not be melted. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Press the crust mixture into the pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. While it is baking whisk together filling items adding the strawberries and rhubarb at the very end. Then pour over hot crust and return to the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool before removing from pan and cutting into bars.

Ready to bake

The smells!

Removed and ready to cut into bars.

Yum!
 This was one of my favorite things I have baked in recent memory. I like it because it is not overly sweet. I really like having it for breakfast with a cup of tea.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment