Monday, November 20, 2017

Spicy and Sweet Butternut Squash


Oh my heaven this is insanely good. So good I am eating the leftovers for lunch as an entrée instead of a side dish today. I actually was cooking the other day and had PBS on in the background when I heard a similar recipe to this on the TV. I of course modified it to my liking and it turned out so well. Ryan and I both loved it. I will put this on the side dish rotation in my house. The thing is I really like squash and I hate the boring mid-west recipes of dumping brown sugar and maple syrup on them and calling it a day. I am constantly trying to find healthy and tasty ways of preparing squash. This was a huge hit. I hope you enjoy. It would be a perfect way to prepare squash for Thanksgiving this week.

What you need~
1 medium sized butternut squash (peeled and shredded)
4 dates (pitted and diced)
1 onion (diced)
4 large leaves of mint (chopped)
11/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/3 cup pistachio (chopped)
Cajun seasoning, natures seasoning, smoked paprika and cayenne powder (to taste)



Here are some instructions on prepping the squash:
Take your squash and cut it down the fat side or short way. Once cut peel all of the skin off of the squash much like you would do to a potato. Then cut it into stripes that will fit into your food processor neck. You want to make sure you are using your shredding attachment not the slicing side. Shred the entire squash.



Prep all items including your squash. Place your onions in the pan with a little oil on medium heat. Season the onions. Let them sweat down for about 2 minutes. Add all your squash to the pan.  Let this cook down for about 15-20 minutes until the squash is softened. Season as needed.Then add the dates and lemon juice. Let that cook for about 2 minutes. Then we want to go ahead and add the pistachio and mint to the pan. Season once more as needed and serve.








THIS is my new favorite thing ever. It is spicy from the seasonings but sweet from the dates. The crunch from the nuts pairs really well with the mushy squash. You really have to make this if not for the holidays just for dinner some night.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment