Thursday, November 30, 2017

1950's Date Bars



They taste like home and happiness. On Thanksgiving I sat down with my mom and dad and went thru my grandmothers and great grandmothers recipes on my dad's side of the family. The smells in the room with the turkey baking and lightly stained recipes I will never forget. I could go on about how I loved the memory of this past Thanksgiving with my two parents crammed around the table watching the dog show and laughing for like hours. But let's get back to the date bars. This was a clipping I think from a magazine or something that my great grandma had stashed in her cute little recipe collection. I have included the full recipe below. Spry=vegetable oil. I learned that off of the internet after much research. I hope that you love these little bars as much as Ryan and I do. They are so good for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner because they are lightly sweet.

What you need~
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup walnuts (chopped)
2 eggs well beaten
Powder sugar

Action shot.

What you need.


Sift flour with baking powder, salt and sugar. Combine dates and nuts with flour and mix well. Beat eggs in a mixer until light and add the oil. Add date mixture slowly until combined. Pour batter into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan that is greased. I had an 8x8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. When cool dusk with powdered sugar.


Baking away.
Ready for powdered sugar.



Yum.

 
 
 
 
Until next time~
XoXo Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment