Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Rhubarb Slush

 


It's that time of year were I am finding things to do with my giant rhubarb plant. A little background on this plant. I have had it for over 5 years now and it is a monster. I got it from this sweet old lady selling tiny plants at the farmers market. Each year I need to find new ways to use the bounty of the monster plant. This year I was determined to make rhubarb slush and it is AMAZING. Ryan and I tried it out last night. 

Here is the recipe. I think you could use strawberries too and it would be great.






What you need~

  • 8 cups of rhubarb washed and chopped loosely
  • 6 cups of water 
  • 2 cups of sugar 
  • 1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate 
  • 1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate 
  • 2 cups of booze (I used vodka)  
  • 1 ice cream type bucket to use that can be frozen
  • Lemon/Lime soda to serve 

Set out the frozen concentrates 20 minutes before starting to thaw. Start by cleaning and placing your rhubarb in a large pot with the sugar and water. Boil until the rhubarb is really soft. Place a colander over the ice cream bucket you will be using. Strain the hot rhubarb mix over the bucket careful to not let any of it get into the liquid you are straining. Add the thawed out concentrates and booze then mix really well. Freeze for at least 24 hours. Take the mix out and shave/stir it up. Place back in freezer till you want to use it. Then you can start drinking it whenever you wish. I take two giant scoops of the mix and then pour the lemom/lime soda over the top. 

I will be making this with strawberries next for sure. Such a delight! 

Until next time~ Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment