Monday, December 10, 2018

Instant Pot: Sweet Potato Curry

The most exciting thing about the Instant Pot is the times savings for me. When I make curry it usually takes me like 3 hours on the stove and I need to baby the pot. Making this yesterday I was able to do this in record time. Start to finish an hour and that is because I made a rookie Instant pot mistake I will tell you about in a bit. We loved the flavor and how this turned out. I may never go back to making it the old school way again.












What you need~
1 yellow onion (diced)
1 tablespoon ginger (diced)
2 tablespoons garlic (diced)
Spice mix: I used freshly ground coriander seeds, curry powder and gram masala
28 ounces of crushed tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas
2 cups water
1 sweet potato (diced)
1 cup carrots (diced)
~2 cups sweet peppers (diced)
1 cup spinach (chopped)
1 can of coconut milk
3 cups of cooked chicken (diced)
Dash of hot sauce

Start by putting your instant pot on sauté (normal setting) and sauté the onions in a little olive oil till tender. Turn the pot to the lowest setting and add garlic, ginger and seasonings. Cook down for about 2 minutes till it is paste like. (THIS is were I made a mistake) I did deglaze the pan with a little water as you are supposed to when pressure cooking but I also mixed in my crushed tomatoes this gave me the dreaded burn food alert when I first tried to pressure cook. Make sure to add at least 2 cups of water to the pot it needs to be runny to build pressure. So at this point after deglazing the pan and your 2 cups of water and LAYER the other items I list. DO not mix. If you do make sure water can get below your items. This prevents the pan from burning when coming to pressure.
When releasing the pressure I tend to hide with the cats.


Anyway add your crushed tomatoes, chick peas, sweet potato, carrots, hot sauce and half of the coconut milk. Make sure your lid is on correctly and that the vent is closed. Set the pressure cooker for 9 minutes. Once the cooker is done and you hopefully do not have to restart like I did with the evil burn message release the pressure using the quick release valve. Open the lid away from you. Add the rest of the coconut milk, chicken, spinach and peppers. I actually turned this back on low on the sauté feature for a little bit to finish. Serve it over rice!



Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment