Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Perfect Steak

I do not want to brag but I am pretty awesome at grilling things. It helps that I have a really great gas grill to help with the process as well. I have seen a lot of TV shows and online articles about the perfect steak. Everyone has their opinions but here is my ideas on how you can maximize your chances of a great steak.

1. A good cut of meat- This is the most important step. If you start with a good cut of meat it will be harder to mess up the steak. I have a local butcher that was kind enough to cut me some ham steaks (pictured in this post) while I waited. Now it is tempting to buy the cheapest cut of meat that they have but if you want the perfect steak that is not the way to go. Quality is worth it. Go out of your way and look for a local butcher if you can they are a wealth of knowledge and will help you pick the best cut of meat.

2. Coming to room temperature- I cannot claim this tip. Gordon Ramsey taught me this a long time ago. It is important to let the steak come to room temperature because the meat will cook more evenly and have a better sear. It usually takes a half our out of the fridge to get to temperature.
3. Season and season some more- At least use some salt and pepper people. Pictured here I used a applewood rub for my steaks. When you season you want to really coat the meat so that it creates a nice bark on the steak when seared on the grill. If you think it is too much seasoning it is perfect.


Looking good!






4. Get that grill hot! You want half of the grill on high and the other half on medium. I have three burners so the left burner was medium, middle high and left high. Sear the meat on the high side and transfer over to the medium for the rest of your cooking time.












 5. Leave your meat alone- Meat needs time to get to perfection. Only flip the meat one time. The more you flip the more the blood in the meat moves around and can cause un-even cooking. Once the meat is done you also need to leave it alone to rest a bit. I would recommend at least 3-5 minutes. If you cut into the meat right away all the juices will run out and you will be left with a sad dried out steak. Letting it rest allows the juice to move around the entire piece of meat and be moist throughout. Topping with a little slap of butter never hurts either.












Getting it's rest on.



The steaks were so large Ryan and I shared one. Yum!

I hope this was helpful and it helps you be more confident with grilling. It is summer time after all and we all want to make some tasty food.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment