Thursday, March 9, 2017

Roasted Asparagus


Easy and tasty. My friend Katelyn sent me a link a long time ago for roasted asparagus. Every time I made it in a pan or on the grill it was a mess and I always undercooked or burnt them. Roasting is the answer to all of those issues. It is almost spring which means asparagus season. This is the season where you can get tiny little pieces that are not woody. Rule of thumb is the larger the asparagus the more woody it is. I got lucky this week and found it on sale and really tiny at the store. SCORE.

HINT: If you are stuck with large woody pieces use a veggie peeler to remove the outer layer of the plant. This will help it break down more.

What you need~
Asparagus
Coconut oil OR olive oil
Seasonings
Sheet pan













Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees F. Trim your asparagus. How I do this is I hold the asparagus in my hand and use the other hand to snap off the ends. Almost like green beans in a way. This removes the woody ends. They should naturally break at the dead end. Place them on the sheet pan and lightly coat with oil. I used my lemon herb oil (coconut oil). It brings a light and refreshing lemon flavor to my asparagus. If you do not have fancy oil like this you can sprinkle some lemon juice over them. I also used lemon pepper seasoning and sea salt. You can really season them with anything and they turn out great. Now cook times. This varies depending on how done you want your asparagus. I would say keep and eye on them in the oven and it will take about 10-15 minutes depending on how done you want them.




Eat them right away and I promise you will want to make them everyday. Roasting is such a great way to eat any vegetable really. It is how I got myself into eating Brussels sprouts and cauliflower which I always hated. I always say that you do not dislike a veggie you just have not found a way prepared that you like.




Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment