Monday, January 7, 2019

Healthy Mental Health in 2019

I have included an e-mail I sent to my team today. I thought it would be a good reminder to everyone though as it can apply to any of us.

This issue is going to focus on.. mental health. That’s right not a stat or anything but your mental wellbeing. This month is our busiest month we will work all year. It is important to stay mentally strong and focused so that you can do your best work. Some tips to stay at GREAT mental health.

 

·        
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Get as much sleep as possible.

If you are like me I struggle with this as I have insomnia from time to time. Some tips for good sleep that my mental health doctor recommended to me.

1.   Your bedroom should be for sleeping only. Do not read or watch TV in your room. I mean I do this and it actually really helped me. J

2.   Try to not do caffeine at night if you can. I try not to do caffeine after 5PM.

 


 
·         Take some “me” time.

I know this is hard many of you have children but “me” time can be something little you do for yourself. Some easy ideas.

1.   Treat yourself to something that makes you happy. A cup of tea or coffee from your favorite place once a week.

2.   Take 30 minutes out of your day to do something simple that helps you de-stress. I often walk the dog. This allows me to reflect on my day.

 


·         Exercise.

I am not talking about becoming a professional runner by any means. Even just walking can be helpful.

1.   Personally when I started to exercise at least two times a week I saw a decrease in my stress level.

2.   Exercise can actually help you sleep better too because you are exhausted.

3.   It can also help you have more energy which I know sounds not possible but it does help!  

 

·         Get away from your desk on your breaks.

1.   You need mental breaks from work. Take them! Get up and go walk away for a moment.

2.   Stretch a bit when you are up. I often will do some chair yoga poses to keep my body from freezing up. My chiropractor told me I sit too much at my job and need to stand more. Try to keep moving around as much as you can.

 

·         Stack your desk with healthier snacks.

I am guilty of being a snacker between meals and that’s okay! Try to stack your desk with healthier options so you are not spending $ at the cafĂ©, the machines or eating crap.

Ideas:

1.   Coconut cashews from aldi are my jam! High in protein and sweet like candy.

2.   Cheddar penguins from aldi. I love salty and I can eat 55 of these for like low calories. (sorta like cheese crackers)

3.   Yogurt. Yep ever morning it helps me focus and not be a grump!

4.   Having healthier options at the ready will make your wallet and your belly happy!

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment