Thursday, January 2, 2020

Healthy Mental Health in 2020!

It's a new year and that means new challenges and reflection on how we tackled last years challenges. Last year I posted healthy-mental-health-in-2019 and I thought instead of reflecting on all my favorite memories of 2019 I would change gears and reflect on what worked for me mental health wise and what really did not. I tried a lot of my own tips from last years list and honestly I made it through some intense challenges like my Grandfather and cat passing last year. I will admit at times I had to dig real deep to find my center and I had to pull back socially at times to recharge more than ever before.

So in this post I will recap some of the 2019 tips and really dig into them a little more with you on what really worked for me.

Get as much sleep as possible.
I did this and I tried to make it a priority as much as possible. Some nights it would be 8pm and I would just go to bed. I used to try to have a set bed time and I thought recently that heck I am an adult I can go to bed whenever my body needs it instead of 10PM on a schedule. This was especially important when I was violently ill over the holidays this year. It can be hard to fit in good sleep or even get good sleep so I also really focused on not over stimulating my brain by not watching crazy tv before bed. Only cooking shows please or reading.


Take some “me” time.
This was a BIG deal this year for me with all the work, home and personal challenges I came into contact with this past year. I am still willing to admit that I continue to struggle to do this but I am a work in progress and I am trying. This year I started yoga, treated myself to massages, started paint by numbers paintings, read a ton of books and continue to go to Zumba. These things fit in a little bit daily really kept me sane throughout my stress load life. I also got a tea station set up at home so I can have a fancy pot of tea whenever I want. I will continue to really work on this.


Exercise.
 
2019 was the year of kayaking for Ryan and I. I love it. With kayaking being out on the water is so peaceful it really helps you recharge from the bustle of life. I also mentioned before I started doing restorative yoga as well. Both have brought great joy to my life and much needed mental health. I also went to a physical therapist this year and he helped me with my horrible posture, my desk set up etc. to help me avoid more back/shoulder injuries. I also will go to water Zumba from time to time. I can still jump in a pool even though I cannot in real life. This winter I look forward to breaking in my new ice skates and skiing more.








Get away from your desk on your breaks.
I promise I will continue to work on this!
I will tell you that when it is nice outside I do take breaks to walk outside and I did a step challenge at work this past summer that got me really moving on my breaks. I also like to walk around a bit throughout the day if possible. Ryan got me a new smart watch for Christmas hopefully this will make me move more.  But it is one of the things I admit I struggle with. Work in progress!



Stack your desk with healthier snacks.
I mean yes... I still do this and it is a great tip. Currently have tricuits-- smoked gouda, almonds-- sweet Thai chili at my desk.

NEW tips:


Live in the moment.
I lost some really important things in my life this year including my beloved grandfather and cat. I was able to spend a lot of time with my grandfather in the end but not my cat. It was jarring when BE my cat passed because I thought we had many years left to spend with her. Time is not a promise. So when you are running errands look outside your window, look at the snow, breath in that deep cold air, listen for the owl hooting as you walk.









Travel more and now if possible.
Back to the live in the moment comments you are not promised tomorrow. Ryan and I went on a trip
to Chicago this week on a whim and it was excellent. I really need to travel more but it does not need to be this big planned out thing. We picked two things we wanted to do and the rest of the time we just explored. Do not wait till you are old and retired to travel you may not be around for that time. I mean sadly we could not make it till tomorrow. Travel and see things!









EAT the damn donut.
I am not saying eat donuts every day but life should be able balance and if you are eating well and exercising regularly a donut here or there is not going to kill you. I often have friends that really struggle with weight loss or being healthy because they just cold turkey leave donuts behind. Whatever your treat in life is it is okay to eat one every blue moon. I prefer potato chips to donuts but you get my drift here.










I hope you focus on your own personal mental health during this busy season and all through 2020. Happy New Year!

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment