Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Green Bay Chili


Okay, I was raised on this chili and I never realized it was anything special or different till I became and adult and started traveling a ton. I would order chili and ask where the hell the noodles were and why there were so many veggies in it. Now do not get me wrong I love different types of chili but this is the classic Green Bay chili. Similar to Krohls or Chili John's. For those not from these parts those are local places that make this type of chili. Hope you enjoy as much as we did this weekend with this classic.

What you need~

3 pounds of hamburger meat
1 bottle of BBQ sauce
Seasoning
Spaghetti noodles

I searched a long time on the internet hoping to find Chili John's secret recipe and this was the closest I could get. I at least managed to get the seasoning (A Bowl of Red- Original Texas Style) they use from Woodman's here locally. This made a big difference. If you cannot locate this magical seasoning you can season with (cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder) for a similar taste.

You start by browning your meat. I had so much meat that I did 1.5 pounds at a time. Do this slowly and as the meat is browning season it lightly with the chili seasoning.








Then add to you crockpot once browned. Add half of the bottle of BBQ sauce. I did a sweet kind to lower the heat from the seasoning as I was serving to friends. Some do not like heat. Now you want to season the meat some more but do this slowly. As you go taste the meat to make sure it is the heat level you want.

Let the meat sit for at least an hour on low in the crockpot to melt the flavors together. Make sure to mix it a lot.  While this is happening make the noodles.











Lastly, toppings. You can do what you want honestly. I like cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, hot sauce, and crackers. The magical part about this is that you can build your bowl how you want it.



Yum!

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment