Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tattoo Tips

Let's start at the beginning. I got my first tattoo at 18 and I was all excited to be able to get something/anything. Do not do this. Ha. I know that sounds crazy but really getting something on you body forever is really something you should maybe do some soul searching and research on. Here are my tips for a good tattoo experience.
Lower back 2 hour sitting

1. Make sure you are comfortable with the artist. So far in total I have sat for tattoo's for 13 hours in my life. 10 of that for my owl tattoo alone. That is a lot of time to be sitting and it is good if you can chill with someone and not be crazy nervous. When you have your consult make sure that you trust that person and feel comfortable to sit for them for an extended period of time.

Upper back tattoo outline 4.5 hour sitting
2. Eat before. Getting a tattoo on an empty stomach sucks. Not only are you in pain but you are starving? No thanks. The other thought I have on this is that it sucks a lot of energy out of you to sit completely still for hours. Eating a good meal will help you so you can burn calories sitting still. I know that seems like a crazy idea but you sit like a statue for 6.5 hours and see how exhausted you are.

3. Bring a snack and water. I don't care if you are there for an hour be prepared for everything. I usually bring a water bottle and a cliff bar.




Wrist 1 hour sitting
4. Make sure you have your payment ready. I always fail at this and Ryan has to run to get me
money. Don't be me.

5. Lastly, be prepared for after care. Ask a ton of questions in your consult have all of the things you need.
I always have the following for aftercare:
Soft soap- the basic non-scented kind
Aquaphor (Petroleum jelly)-This is used for the first couple days
Lubriderm lotion unscented- Use this once the tattoo starts to peel
Cotton men's t-shirts size medium with zero tags (I only needed this for my owl tattoo. Having them prepared the first time was important.)
Pain pills (Advil for example) as needed

Upper back detailing 6.5 hour sitting
I applied the above products two times a day for two weeks. Once fully healed you can lotion as needed.

These are some general tips to help you tattoo experience go more smoothly. Will it hurt like hell yes but this will help you heal up well and have a good lastly tattoo.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment