Monday, September 12, 2016

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


After eating this sauce I decided it reminded me of my Grandma Emerdine's spaghetti she used to make for us. This sauce is good but takes time to cook down. I did it on a Sunday but you could do it on a week day while you are at work just as easy. I made it in the crock pot but you could do it on the stove as well. The flavors were fresh and the basil was the perfect last minute add.

What you need~                                                                          
48 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of yellow onion
1 tablespoon of miced garlic (if you do fresh about 4 cloves)
2 cups of tomato juice
1 handful of basil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese 

 











Spices to taste:
Fennel
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Salt
Nature's seasoning
Dried oregano
Dried basil of you do not use fresh
Cayenne pepper (just a pinch)







Place everything in the crock pot and set it to low for 10 hours.  That is it. The hardest part is getting all the stuff together. The magic really happens with it cooking down for hours. I did finish the sauce before eating with the Parmesan cheese.



























NEW TIP:
I was watching PBS last weekend and I saw a Italian chef take her pasta and add it to the sauce. I always did it the other way spooning sauce onto the noodles. This makes a world of difference because your noddles get coated but not overly so. Do this you will not regret it.

I hope to make variations of this in the future because it is better than canned sauce and makes a bigger batch so we can have leftovers. I managed to get 5 meal servings out of this. Lunches all week for Ryan!


Until next time~
XoXo Emily


 

No comments:

Post a Comment