Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ancestry DNA Results!

Finally! I wanted to do this for years and Ryan and I decided for birthday gifts this year to each other we would each get our DNA tested. I will tell you whatever you think you know about your history or ethnicity you are most likely WRONG. Every person I know that has done this testing has had some sort of a surprise in their results. I figured breaking each percentage down would be the easiest thing to do.

Here is my overall break down. I need to explain it in detail or you will get totally confused. In general I am European. 99% to be exact. Let's go over the break down starting with Europe West.















This makes up a huge chunk of my DNA. I know from family history on my Grandma (Mom's) side she was a Becks and they were from Belgium. My father's last name Fonder is also of French/Belgian heritage so it makes sense that 59% of me is from this region.







 I have no idea. I talked to my mom about this and we are both at a loss. One of my friends mentioned that with these countries being "neutral" or "safe" countries it makes sense that my ancestors might have moved here due to war or famine. Otherwise this 17% is totally new to me. I need to research it more.










Another fun surprise. I mean I never knew about this either. I have Irish friends and I have been jealous of them and their fun St. Patrick's day holiday. I guess I need to get in on the fun now. This also explains all my freckles I have. That is a common trait from this ethnicity.










How exciting. I knew I was Italian as my dad tells me this all the time. I did not think it was such a large chunk of my DNA though. I know that ancestry links Italy/Greece together but from my family history that I can tell I am actually Italian. Time to go back to Italy and learn to make pasta!







I think for me my whole life I always related to Polish as being part of my identity. Which really it is not a large part of who I actually am. If anything I am a Polish Jew. I know that my Grandfather (Mom's side) states he is Polish so that is where I get that from in my mind. Another interesting result.








I wanted to jump up and down when I saw this result. I love Britain. I am addicted to British TV and drive a British MINI. (Well technically owned by BMW the MINI brand was originally a British car). I just love this! I will continue drinking my tea in happiness.









At this point as I was looking at my results I started to feel a bit like a giant European mutt if you will. My ancestors traveled a lot. They must have been rather nomadic or lived in large cities to have this amount of diversity. I mean I have always wanted to go to Spain I even speak a  tad of Spanish. So this was cool to see that I have a tiny part of me that is Spanish. Must explain my love of dance.






I mean here is more of the Polish my Grandpa (Mom's side) always talks about. So at most I am 2% Polish and that is pushing it in all likely hood. Some really interesting stuff.












The next two are less than 1% but are REALLY surprising and cool. I know that growing up I always thought I was Polish and Belgium. The fact that I have some ancestry in the Middle East is super cool. Explains why I love spicy food.













Another fun surprise. When I told my dad about these he was laughing. Who knew right? I will say that I wish that this part of the world was more safe so I could travel here.














All the results were a bit overwhelming if I am honest. Looking at it all as a big picture I hate to say it but I may have to just tell people I am European. Going into all the percentages would most likely put people into a nap state OR I guess I can tell them I am American.

I would highly recommend you do this test if you can afford it. Currently they have their DNA packages on sale if you want to do it. It was super easy to do. You get the package in the mail. Fill the tube with saliva and mail it back in. In a couple weeks your results should be in. I think they tell you up to 4-6 weeks. Mine came in quicker. I sent my package in at the same time as Ryan but mine is done and his is not yet. I cannot wait to see his results. Rumor is that he is a large percentage Polish. We will see.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment