Wednesday, July 19, 2017

HEALTHY Mac & Cheese


O.M.G. I cannot believe something this simple is so delicious. Most of the time when someone tells you to try a healthy recipe you want to laugh in their face because let's be real mac & cheese is not something that you think of as healthy. One of my best friends Liz made this for her son Sawyer who is a baby and if he loved it I knew I had to try it. I mean there still is cheese, milk and butter but what really makes the difference is there is less of these things. This is due to the magical veggie you add to the sauce..... butternut squash. I have never in my life cooked this squash but it was easy to do and let me tell you this is going into normal recipe rotation at our house. I had enough from this recipe to make 4 full bowls of the mac & cheese for Ryan and I. We did not eat all that but we do have some tasty leftovers for lunches.

What you need~
2 cups pasta (I used elbow)
1 cup milk (I used almond)
1 cup cheese (I used mild cheddar)
1 butternut squash (medium in size)
1 tablespoon of butter
Mrs. Dash (or seasoning) to taste






Start by pre-heating oven to 400 degrees F. Cut your squash in half and brush with olive oil. Roast until fork tender. I cooked mine for an hour due to the size. Make your pasta while the squash roasts. Remove squash from oven and peel off the skin. Place the squash in a blender. Add the milk, butter, cheese and seasoning to the blender. Blend until you get everything smooth. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta. You do not need all the sauce you will have some left over. This is good for when you reheat the pasta you can add a little of the extra sauce to make the pasta creamy again.







In the blender and ready to blend.

Make sure it is smooth.

Pour all that yumminess over the pasta.

So creamy!

I mean look at it. Perfection.

I bet you will eat an entire bowl.
This was the best mac & cheese I have personally ever made at home. I was happy I did not have to make a flour paste or anything like normal mac & cheese. PLUS this has a ton of healthy things in it with the squash. I topped ours with chicken. You can top it with bacon too if you wanted.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment