Monday, August 1, 2016

Basil Pesto

Going to the farmers market this year is one of my favorite things to do if I can find the time. Cost comparison for cauliflower alone is $3 at the store and $1 at the market. One if the hardest things to find at a decent price in stores is basil. If I can find it at the market I try to make pesto. Now that I have a food processor I can make some great quality pesto.

What you need~
3 cups of basil (I used Thai basil)
1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese 
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of garlic (chopped, I used crushed)
1/3 cup pine nuts toasted (I used a bag full)
1/2 cup olive oil



Start by toasting your pine nuts. They are expensive if you want a cheaper alternative I have used walnuts and toasted them for pesto as well. Good but not the traditional pesto I was going for this time. I like to toast the nuts until they become fragrant  and have some color on them. Transfer to the food processor when done.




I had to wash the basil. It was super sandy. I rinsed under water and laid out to dry while the nuts toasted. You need at least 3 cups.










While the basil is still drying zest one lemon into the processor.














Add your remaining ingredients (Parmesan cheese & garlic) to the food processor and turn it on.
 





While it is grinding away add the lemon juice and olive oil down the shoot. Do this slowly to make sure it blends well.













Make sure you taste it as you go. I do this to check the flavor and the texture. You want the pesto to be smooth in the end  not grainy. The color once it is blended is amazing.





Ready to be added to sandwiches, potatoes and corn!
Here it is on some fingerling potatoes I got from the market. YUM!


 I love this stuff and I only get to make it a couple times of year. I  highly recommend if you can make this at least once you will not regret it.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily














No comments:

Post a Comment