Monday, December 7, 2015

Beef Vegetable Soup

Sometimes my husband requests certain things I have never made before. Which is exciting because I love trying to make new things. Sunday is a day were I love to take the time "if I have it" to make a large batch of soup for the week. This recipe was modified from one I found online but I changed a bunch of things because I am always doing that. It really turned out fantastic. I also make some rosemary dinner rolls which paired perfectly with the warm soup. Yum!

What you will need-
2- 32 oz beef broth
4 cups of tomato juice
1-16 oz can of diced tomatoes
1- 15 oz bag of mixed vegetables
3 cups of water
8 small yukon gold potatoes chopped
1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic diced
1.5 pounds of beef
Paprika
Siracha
Cayenne pepper
Salt
Pepper
Mrs. Dash seasoning

 Start by browning your ground beef. Make sure to leave the meat in medium chunks. Once this is done drain the grease off of the meat and throw in your chopped up onions and garlic. I let these cook down for about 2-3 minutes before I added the tomatoes, potatoes, bag of veggies, beef broth, water, tomato juice and additional seasonings.


It is always great when you can talk your husband into helping with dinner. He cuts up potatoes better than me.







I used homemade tomato juice we canned in the early fall with family. You can easily use normal tomato juice or spicy V8 for a little kick.


This already looks fantastic before I added all the liquids. As I like to stress every time I cook season in layers. Every time you add to the pot make sure you season. Also, you need to taste as you go to make sure your flavors are balanced.


Once you add all the liquids put it on high till it starts to boil. Then turn to a simmer for at least 1.5-2 hours. Cook covered other wise you will lose all the liquids.











The finished project with some oyster crackers added. It was divine and I will be making this again as it was so easy to throw together. I hope that in this holiday season you find some fun and easy recipes like this.

PS: I recently joined Instagram. It is an addiction. You can follow me at emilykielar.

Until next time~
XoXo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment